Financial Support for Studies

In Finland students finance their studies mainly with government financial aid (including a study grant, a housing supplement, and a potential student loan). Adult students may also have other forms of financing.

Degree students are entitled to the meal subsidy of KELA (The Social Insurance Institution of Finland).


Student Financial Aid for Adult Students

Master’s Degree students and other adult students can apply for student financial aid, if they meet the general criteria for student financial aid and they study full-time.

Read more on the website of Kela.


Financial Aid by Education Fund

Adult students who have been employed may receive financial aid for their studies under certain conditions from the Education Fund. In such a case they are not entitled to government financial aid, except for the loan guarantee. Please see prerequisites for the financial aid by Education Fund here. Further information the Education Fund.


Meal Subsidy

The students of the University of Applied Sciences are entitled to a reduction on meal prices at the student restaurant by showing a student card or a Kela meal bonus card. The meal subsidy is given to students completing degree-awarding education in Bachelor or Master programmes at a Finnish university of applied sciences. The meal subsidy is also granted at the student restaurants of Finnish universities and other universities of applied sciences. Kela meal bonus cards are provided to students by the Student Services.

See further information on the Kela website.

For open studies path student

Studies at the open UAS are not eligible for the state’s student financial aid unless your other studies entitle you to it. Neither are open UAS students entitled to a student card or any student discounts.

Consult the Employment and Economic Development Office, for example, or Kela for further information about the options available for financing your studies.

Study path students (bachelor) will be entitled to discount price meals at JAMK student restaurants. You will receive the meal card from your open studies contact person.


Financial Aid for Summer Study

You can apply for financial aid for summer studies. See Kela's website for more information and application instructions.


Student Financial Aid Abroad

Student financial aid may also be granted for studies abroad, if they are part of a degree completed in Finland. Apply for financial aid for studies abroad well in advance of your departure abroad through Kela's online service.

Read more on the website of Kela.

More Information

If you need information on forms of financial support, you can contact Saija Kotamäki on the Main Campus Student Services: opintotuki(at)