What is practical training?

Practical training is part of all the Bachelor’s degrees completed at the universities of applied sciences. Practical training means studying which takes place in a company or business, offering the student the opportunity to adapt what she or he has learned in practice and develop professionally. Since practical training is part of the student’s studies, it must be well-planned and supervised.

The scope of the practical training varies from 30 to 120 credits, depending on the field of study. This equals 20–80 weeks, i.e. 5-20 months of full-time work. The practical training can also be completed in parts and for different employers in Finland or abroad.


When can I do my practical training?

Students begin practical training throughout the year, meaning that the practical training schedule depends on the curriculum of your degree programme.


What must I do?

The student must

  • reflect on what type of practical training helps her or him to develop professionally and is suitable for the student’s own career plans,
  • find a place where she or he completes the practical training (see instructions below), and
  • be aware of how the practical training process works and adhere to it.

In what type of tasks?

The purpose of the practical training is to familiarise students, under supervision, with the essential tasks related to a degree. At the same time, the students learn to analyse the development challenges of working life. The tasks should be based on each student’s individual learning objectives and the needs of the employer. The practical training tutors of the units provide further information on suitable placements.


How do I find a place to complete my practical training?

There are various ways to find a placement. The students are usually responsible for finding a placement independently and should actively contact employers. Some placements are also announced through the practical training coordinators of JAMK. See the practical training page on the Elmo Student (login required).

Also register for the Duuni Keski-Suomi service (in Finnish web page) or download the Tiitus mobile application to your phone. The service allows you to browse jobs and practical training places as well as projects.

Remember the social media channels too. For example, after creating a profile in LinkedIn, you can notify that you are looking for a practical training place. LinkedIn is an international, globally-renowned social media channel used by employers to look for competent people.

As a social services and health care student, you can also search for a practical training place via the Jobiili service, which is a practical training placement reservation system for the social services and health care sector.


Who supervises practical training?

Practical training is always guided and supervised. Every trainee is appointed a supervisor for the practical training period – both by the school and by the employer. It is defined in a practical training agreement. Practical training guidance also refers to advance guidance on applying for a placement, and on defining the learning objectives and tasks performed during the practical training. During the practical training period, the employer provides guidance and orientation with regard to the characteristics and tasks of the field. Orientation into the work environment and work culture of the organisation is also an essential part of the practical training.


How do I complete the practical training agreement?

The employer, trainee and JAMK conclude a practical training agreement. The student fills in the agreement (can be found in the Elmo Student) and prints the agreement, which is signed. The agreement for practical training abroad is concluded in the Mobility Online system (login required). Students of health and social studies should read more about the specific instructions (the Finnish web site) for their field of study in the Elmo Student (login required).


Do I get paid for doing the practical training?

Practical training can be either paid or unpaid. The amount of a potential salary is agreed on between the student and the employer. Trainees who are paid for their work are in an employment relationship and make a work contract as well as a practical training agreement. Students can apply for student financial aid through KELA (if eligible) for the period of practical training whether doing the practical training in Finland or abroad. The salary affects the amount of the aid received from KELA. For information about KELA support please see www.kela.fi. Students may, regardless of nationality, also apply for grant money for practical training completed abroad. Please see detailed information on practical training practices in the Internationalization through studies of the Elmo Student (login required). You can also talk to your practical training coordinators or contact international services (on the website of JAMK).


From whom do I seek compensation if I am injured while in practical training?

If the trainee is paid for the work, he/she is also covered by the statutory accident insurance of the company/organisation. Otherwise the trainee is covered by the accident insurance of JAMK.

Read more


How do I end my practical training?

A feedback discussion is arranged between the student and the employer in the organisation at the end of the practical training, based on the principles of developmental discussion. In addition, the student writes a practical training report.

Note! The employer must write a reference for the practical training.

Students of health and social studies should read more about the specific instructions for their field of study in the Elmo Student.

Practical training notifications Follow the practical training notifications in the Elmo Student (login required). Open
Practical training abroad You may complete the practical training included in your degree abroad, completely or in part (please see more information on the jamk.fi website). Read more