Practical Information for International Degree Students

Before Arrival

Residence Permit

Students coming from the Nordic countries (Denmark, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden) are allowed to arrive, reside, study and work without residence permits in Finland. However, if your stay lasts longer than three months (90 days), you must register your right to reside in Finland at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency of Jyväskylä (former Register Office).

Students coming from the member states of the European Union and the European Economic Area or Switzerland do not need a residence permit either. However, if you are staying in Finland for longer than three months (90 days) you must register at the Service Point of Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) after your arrival in Finland.

Students outside non-EU/non-EEA countries staying in Finland for longer than three months (90 days) must apply for a residence permit before their arrival in Finland. Start your residence permit process immediately after receiving your acceptance letter, as the process takes several weeks. Submit an application for a residence permit online at Migri’s Online Service EnterFinland. Please note that obtaining a residence permit preconditions having a valid health insurance coverage with a reliable and solvent company or institution. For more information, please see the website of the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri). For more information and advice on the residence permit requirements and procedures, please refer to the Finnish Immigration Service.

JAMK University of Applied Sciences (JAMK) will ensure that all selected students are able to start their studies in autumn 2020. If you cannot arrive in Finland due a regulatory provision given by authorities or for other strong reason related to the COVID-19 corona epidemic, such as delays in the residence permit process in the Finnish Embassies or Finnish Immigration Services, you can start your studies online. All our degree programmes taught in English are prepared to arrange distance learning for the first-year students during autumn term 2020.

After starting your studies the fall semester online, you are expected to start studies on the campus latest from the beginning of the spring semester (= the beginning of January 2021). We recommend you to start the application process for your residence permit as soon as possible. The earlier you can start the process the better, because delays are expected due to the COVID-19.

Finnish Personal Identity Code

Notice, you need to have a Finnish personal identity code which is required for our student registration system. Having a personal identity code also facilitates, for example, payment of salaries, banking and access to health care services. If you have not applied a Finnish personal identity code at the beginning of your residence in Finland, please visit the Local Register Office to obtain the code immediately. After you have received it, please inform your Study Affairs Coordinator at JAMK.

General Information on Jyväskylä and Finland

Study Guide

In the Study Guide for Bachelor's Degrees / Master's Degrees you can find necessary information on studies and everyday living. It is the main source of information during your studies. The Elmo Student (login required) are the additional sources of information, providing topical announcements and school- / degree-programme-specific information.

in English